Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cooking FAIL

So, I had read on line about steel cut oats in the crockpot over night. sounded awesome. so I bought some. Last night I was all excited, got my crockpot out, got all the ingredients in (as Brett gave me the sideways glance, asking questions).
When I was looking for recipes online, everyone kept boasting about apple cinnamon oatmeal. I LOVE apple cinnamon oatmeal. when I bought the steel cut oats, I also bought a cinnamon stick. I have NEVER used one before and asked 4 people on how to cook with it, do I break it, can I reuse it, etc. I am sure they were glad to see me leave! LOL
A particular comment had me hooked "I love waking up to the smell of this cinnamon apple oatmeal in the mornings!".
When I woke up this morning (for the second time), I didn't smell any cinnamon apple. I cautiously walked up to the crockpot, thinking to myself "did I forget to turn it on?". nope, I could see thru the lid it was cooked, and there was that cinnamon smell when I lifted the lid.
Well, my next task was to get the bowl I had cooked it in out of the crockpot (I read on one recipe where the girl hated having to clean the burnt oatmeal out of her crockpot, so she put the ingredients in a glass bowl, filled the crockpot with water and put the bowl in the cockpot in the water. Genius!)
well, the water was boiling hot, and the glass bowl was too. and I fill the water right to the rim of the bowl.....so how the HELL am I going to get the bowl out? two plastic spoons looked at me! I put one on each side and lifted....but I knew the instant I did that, it was a BAD idea! if the bowl slipped off the spoons, it was going to fall in the very hot water....BAD idea.
Well, I managed to get the bowl out of the crockpot without dropping it. So much work for this oatmeal. it smelled so good!
spoon some into my bowl, this is going to be so good! I took two bites and moved it away. it's NASTY! I can SMELL the cinnamon and the apple, but I sure can't taste it. and it's kinda sour...I don't get it. time to look up new uses for steel cut oats! (and I love how spell check doesn't like the word Crockpot...I LOVE that word! haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment