Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Only Human

Some days, Eric can send me over the edge. Scratch that. MOST days, Eric DOES send me over the edge. He's strong willed, independent, and stubborn. And while I view these as good qualities, they are hard qualities to deal with as a parent.

Yesterday, I was reminded by good online friends to not yell, use patience, and PLAY with our kids.
Is it sad that I needed to be reminded? Well, I am only human. I am not a good play-er. It's not my favorite thing to do (never thought that, until I had kids that required that I play with them all day!). Having two small kids, my patience is def not there either. And it's so easy to be busy, cleaning, cooking, taking care of babes (or playing on the internet), that I do forget that Eric LOVES playing with me. So I am making a STRONG effort to not yell, use my patience, and play with Eric.

The hardest place to use patience in our lives is with eating. Eric is picky, and I have been to numerous people for help with him. He's gaining weight, and about once a week, or every other week, he surprises me and eats everything I give him. but most of the time, it's a struggle all day long. And the most frustrating thing? He asks for snacks all the time, but will not eat healthy ones. (don't worry, I don't give in. If he's actually hungry he would take the veggies/fruits/etc). Usually it's a compromise. eat this and you get this.

What area of parenting do you have the hardest time being patient about?

No comments:

Post a Comment